Are you considering calling a garage door repair company serving St. Charles or the surrounding area? Few home repair problems are as frustrating as a broken garage door. That goes double for when you’re in a rush but your vehicle is trapped inside. So, what do you do? Call a garage door repairman.
But that leads to a whole new bag of worms—how do you know what to look for in a garage door repair company near you? What kinds of red flags should you be on the lookout for? And how can you spot a garage door repair scam right off the bat?
This guide covers all that and more. Inside you’ll discover five qualities of a trustworthy garage door repair company. And with it, you’ll be on the right path toward fixing your garage and returning to normal.
Table of Contents
- 5 Qualities to Look for
- Frequently Asked Questions
5 Qualities to Look for in a Garage Door Repair Company Near St. Charles
Not all garage door repair companies are equal. And unfortunately, some may not provide the quality service you’re paying for.
1. Legitimate Business Information Available
Make sure you’re doing your due diligence on the legitimacy of the service before work begins. Some garage door repair companies may talk over the phone.
But upon closer inspection, they lack the simple staples that prove they’re a legitimate, legal business.
In your search, look for the following signs of a legitimate business.
- Solid Website – Do they have a standalone website? Or do they operate off their Facebook page? Does that website have plenty of content like service pages, information about the business, and an active blog? If not, it may be a sign they either don’t take their business seriously or struggle financially (could be a sign of bad service).
- Physical Address – Be sure the garage door repair company near you has a physical business address, not just a home address. Hop on Google Street View to verify the building type. While some skilled subcontractors work out of their homes, the best service, prices, and expertise will come from a business with an actual brick-and-mortar storefront.
- Licensed & Insured – When talking to a garage door repair rep, you’ll want to ensure they’re meeting all the requirements to operate legally. For most businesses, that means being correctly licensed by the state. It also means carrying active liability and disability insurance for their technicians.
- Branded Vehicles – Branded vehicles go a long way to establishing legitimacy. A simple name and logo on the side of a truck indicate the business takes itself seriously. It also shows they have the financial means to invest in their marketing (a sign of a solid business).
2. Offer Plenty of Services
Whether you’re dealing with a snapped spring or a bent track, or your garage door just won’t open (and you don’t know why), you need to be sure your chosen garage door repair company offers the right service for the job.
Be sure they offer a bare minimum of the following repair services:
- Broken garage door spring
- Garage transmitter is not responding
- Stripped or worn-out gear
- The garage photo-eye is out of alignment
- Bent, misaligned, or a rusted track
- Broken garage door cable broke
- Garage panels need replacement
Beyond that, you’ll also want to be sure they have experience working with the best brands in the industry.
Garage Door Manufacturers like:
3. Plenty of Great Reviews from Satisfied Customers
Reviewing customer reviews is essential before settling on a garage door repair company near St. Charles. And luckily, the internet has made checking reviews more accessible than ever.
Be sure to check out Facebook and Google to get a feel for what it’s like working with the company. Focus on the reviews that talk about the specifics. While a short “Working with them was great!” is positive, it doesn’t detail why you should choose them.
Here’s an example of a helpful review:
“Put in a request on the website for an estimate on a new garage door opener + install. Received an estimate by email within an hour or two and they were able to come out and install the very next afternoon. Everything went great. Super friendly. Highly recommend.” – Stefan Paz
Beyond that, the Better Business Bureau rating can also help you determine the legitimacy of a business. But take it with a grain of salt—businesses have to pay to qualify for a ranking, so a lousy ranking here doesn’t necessarily mean a bad company.
4. Above & Beyond Customer Care
Customer care is critical in the service industry. A single bad experience can undermine a job well done. And it’s why the right garage door repair company near you will heavily emphasize customer service.
Prioritize finding a garage door repair company near St. Charles that has the following customer care qualities.
- Free Estimates – If you’re paying for an estimate, there’s a good chance your repairman will “nickel and dime” you from start to finish. Legitimate garage door repair companies can afford to provide free estimates because of the quality of their service and the competitiveness of their prices.
- 24-Hour Service – The worst repair jobs have a way of popping up at the least convenient time. Finding a repair company that offers 24-hour emergency service is a solid indicator of a company that values its customers.
- Professional & Polite – While they should be standard, many home service businesses forget the value of common courtesy and good old-fashioned manners. But with the right repair company, they should be a given.
- Punctual – Your time is valuable, especially in emergency service. Be sure your garage door repair company shows up to the job when they say they will. If they keep you waiting, it might be time to keep searching.
- Warranties – A quality company will offer one or multiple warranties to support their services. These can come in the form of a product warranty, a labor warranty, or both.
5. Don’t Throw Up Any Other Red Flags
Finally, you’ll want to be sure your chosen garage door repair company isn’t displaying any other red flags along the way. In the best-case scenario, they may overcharge you or use parts leftover from another job. In the worst case, they may be scamming you entirely.
So be sure to watch out for the following red flags. And if you spot them, say “no thank you!” immediately.
- Pushy or overly aggressive sales tactics (“This deal only lasts 72 hours” or “We need to sign today because we’re busy”)
- Unmarked and shoddy vehicles (industrial vans, rusted trucks, etc.)
- Up-front payment (payment should always be on completion, not right away)
- Surprise visits (door-to-door garage door repair companies shouldn’t be trusted)
- Point out needed repairs that have never caused problems in the past (a sure sign of increasing the job cost)
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the most frequently asked questions about finding a garage door repair company near St. Charles.
How Much Does It Cost to Fix a Garage Door?
Typical repair costs for broken garage doors range from $99 to $149 if no new parts are needed.
Adding on new parts can make those repairs much more costly, though. For instance, a new torsion spring may cost anywhere from $175 to $275, depending on the size.
However, it’s important to remember that improper repairs can be dangerous. Springs, in particular, hold a lot of potential energy. And if they break, they can be deadly.
On top of that, a garage door without proper safety measures can be dangerous for family members or pets.
How Much Does It Cost to Replace a 2-Car Garage Door?
Prices will vary based on the company you choose, the exact model of the door, and whether you need new parts like openers or tracks.
That being said, HomeAdvisor points out the average cost for replacing a 2-car garage door is about $800 to $1500, including around $300 for labor costs.
Is It Safe to Repair a Garage Door Yourself?
Repairing your garage door yourself can be pretty dangerous.
According to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors:
- About 20,000 to 30,000 injuries related to garage doors occur each year, landing many victims in the emergency room.
- More than 7,000 pinching injuries are reported, which may result in amputations or permanent disability.
- Over 2,000 Americans are crushed by the substantial weight of a falling garage door.
- About 800 lacerations come from improperly handling glass in garage doors.
That’s why it’s essential to understand the risks of repairing or installing garage doors yourself. It may save you a few bucks at first. But the safety concerns and the hassle of going the DIY route often aren’t worth it. And many homeowners choose to partner with a trusted professional instead.
Gateway Door and Contracting – The Best for Garage Door Repairs
A broken garage door can throw your whole day out of whack. That’s especially true when you discover the problem after normal business hours. And finding the right repair company can feel like searching for a needle in a haystack.
Here’s how we stand out from the competition:
- Family Owned (Not a Franchise) – You can rest easy knowing you’re only getting the best value in products, installation, and service.
- Best Brands – We only work with the best in the industry, including Raynor, doorLink, C.H.I., Clopay, Wayne Dalton, and LinkMaster!
- Experienced Technicians – All our technicians are experienced, professional, and ready to fix your garage at a moment’s notice.
- Quality Assured – We constantly test and fine-tune your door for superior performance.
- Service You Can Trust – Our exceptional level of service led to our near-perfect reviews.
- Spot Free Cleanup – From cleaning up our supplies to hauling away your old door, we’ll leave your garage as clean as we found it.