You may not know it, but your garage is one of the essential parts of your home. From keeping your family safe to boosting your curb appeal, a well-made garage door does it all.
And when it’s not acting right, it’s time for a fix. But you also need to know which garage door service is exemplary for your particular needs.
That’s why in this guide, we’re going to look at the four most crucial garage door services, along with what you need to know about each.
We’ll cover what to look for in a new garage door, what kinds of problems warrant an immediate repair, which openers are the best in the industry, the importance of regular maintenance, and much more.
Let’s dive in!
Table of Contents
- #1: Garage Repair
- #2: New Doors
- #3: New Openers
- #4: Regular Maintenance
- What to Expect From Garage Door Maintenance Services
- Frequently Asked Questions
Garage Door Service #1: Garage Repair
Garage door not opening? Hearing a suspicious creaking sound when opening it up? Got a massive eyesore of a dent?
That’s where garage door repair comes in.
The garage door is the primary home entryway for nearly half of Americans. And when it isn’t working right, it’s not a problem you can sit on too long before it becomes a nuisance.
But beyond that, neglecting to repair your garage door can lead to serious safety concerns, too.
Make Repairs Sooner Rather Than Later
For most homeowners, working with a professional garage door repair company is necessary.
Beyond the hassle and expense of repairing yourself, a professional will also be able to ensure your garage door and opener are working correctly. And that’s especially important because garage doors can be quite dangerous.
Look at these stats to get some perspective on the potential safety problems involved.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors:
- About 20,000 to 30,000 injuries related to garage doors occur each year, landing many victims in the emergency room.
- More than 7,000 pinching injuries are reported, resulting in amputations or permanent disability.
- Over 2,000 Americans are crushed by the substantial weight of a falling garage door.
- About 800 lacerations come from improperly handling glass in garage doors.
Then, it’s vital that if you notice a problem with your garage door, you get it nearly half of Americans as soon as possible.
Garage Door Service #2: New Doors
Whether you’re looking to replace old, outdated doors or are trying to find a stylish set for your newly built home, the search for new garage doors can be challenging if you don’t know what to look for.
But with the right doors, you can enjoy benefits like:
- Added home security
- Increased home value
- Better insulation
- More stylish appearance
- Greater safety
- Lower maintenance costs
And while you may be tempted to install a new garage door yourself, partnering with a professional is the only way to ensure your new door is safe, secure, and working at maximum effectiveness.
Factors to Consider
Not all garage doors are made equal. And when you’re finding the right ones for you, there are a few factors you need to consider.
- Type – There are three primary types of garage doors to choose from. There’s a single-layer, which is a simple outer layer of material that offers little in the way of insulation but a lower cost than other options. There are double-layer doors that are a bit heavier and more protective. And finally, triple-layer doors offer the best insulation but are more serious and more expensive.
- Style – Looks shouldn’t be discounted. After all, a new garage door can do severe wonders for boosting your home’s curb appeal. You’ll want to consider both color options and the wide variety of panel styles to create the best door to complement your home truly. You’ll have plenty of choices here, but an expert garage door service company will be able to help you settle on what looks the best.
- Material – There are five main garage door materials: wood, vinyl, fiberglass, aluminum, and steel. Each has its own distinct set of pros and cons. For instance, aluminum doors don’t rust and come in various finishes. On the other hand, they’re easier to dent than steel garage doors. Finding the right material type for your home is all about weighing the pros and cons of each door type.
- Size – Finding the right size garage door for your space is a priority. Most will fall between eight to nine feet wide and seven to eight feet tall for single-car garage doors. Double garage doors are typically between 16 to 18 feet wide and seven to eight feet tall. When you work with a professional, though, they’ll be able to nail down your precise measurements.
- Budget – Finally, you’ll also want to consider your budget. Your final costs will depend on everything mentioned above, plus labor. And for some homeowners, it’s possible to get a new garage door installed for just a couple hundred dollars. That being said, you can end up spending several thousand as well. But don’t forget—investing a bit more to get the features and look you want can go a long way towards your home’s resale value too.
Best Garage Door Brands
We take pride in offering only the very best in garage door brands. And for us, that means the following brands:
Garage Door Service #3: New Openers
Your door opener is one of the most essential parts of your garage. It provides the power to open and close your door safely. And some of the better models out there also offer plenty of added features to make operation even more convenient (more on those in a minute).
A few things to note when shopping for your new garage door opener:
- Various Types – Garage door openers come in four main varieties to choose from (chain drive, belt drive, and wall-mounted). Please look at our garage door opener guide to learn more about each.
- Horsepower Needs – As different doors have different weights, you need to find an opener with the appropriate horsepower for your particular garage. One-half horsepower is usually enough for most standard doors.
- D.I.Y. At Your Own Risk – While some D.I.Y. garage door openers are available, installing openers correctly is vitally important. Improper installation can lead to severe damage and even injury.
Features to Look For
Opener technology is more exciting than ever. Be sure to look for these next-generation features for the latest in-home tech.
- Automatic door locking
- Built-in Wi-Fi that allows for smartphone control
- Battery backup
- Key by Amazon In-Garage Delivery
- Randomly generated opener code for every click
Best Garage Door Opener Brands
In our 20+ years of experience, we’ve worked with many different garage door openers. But we’ve found that LiftMaster is far and away from the most dependable (followed by Raynor).
Check out the following models.
Garage Door Service #4: Regular Maintenance
Ask any expert in nearly any industry—the best way to deal with any problem is by preventing it from happening in the first place.
The same goes for garages. Maintenance is key to problem prevention.
Most garages only need to get a tune-up once every year (unless you notice a problem, in which case, call a garage repair service immediately).
With proper maintenance from a qualified professional, you’ll be able to:
- Avoid having to deal with severe problems at the moment they happen (think on the way to work or just getting home for the evening).
- Prevent dangerous incidences that may lead to damage or even injury.
- Extend the life of your garage door and your garage door opener, saving you money in the long run.
What to Expect From Garage Door Maintenance Services
When you schedule a garage door maintenance service, you’ll be met with a professional technician who’ll then take a look at your door, opener, and other garage components.
They’ll be following a laid-out plan of parts to expect in many cases. The more parts they look at, the likelier they’ll be to catch issues before they turn into full-blown problems.
For instance, the best quality garage door inspection (like the garage maintenance plan from Gateway Door and Contracting) will cover nearly every aspect of your garage, including:
- Spring Bar
- Center Bracket
- Center Bearing
- End Bearing Plates
- Section Integrity
- Force Limits
- And much, much more…
On top of that, some garage door specialists will also offer added benefits of maintenance plans like a discount on parts, labor, and replacements (another money-saver).
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are just a few of the most common questions about garage door service and repair.
Is a Garage Door Tune-Up Worth It?
That depends on the garage door service company you use.
That being said, when you work with leading experts in the industry, a simple tune-up can prevent severe headaches down the line.
With the right tune-up plan, you can:
- Extend the life of your garage door and garage opener.
- Prevent unexpected, frustrating breakdowns.
- Improve the function, speed, and quietness of your current door and opener.
Some maintenance plans also offer discounts on parts, labor, and replacements.
How Often Do Garage Doors Need Maintenance?
This will vary depending on your door type, opener, and several other factors.
However, most experts say you should service your garage door at least once a year if you don’t notice any issues.
If you notice an issue, you must get your garage looked at as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more likely a minor issue will evolve into a significant problem.
How Do You Maintain a Garage Door?
Generally, technicians will inspect all your garage door components to ensure everything is in working order.
If they notice any problems or indications of future issues, they may make proactive repairs. They will also engage in typical maintenance like adding lubrication, adjusting spring tension, and tightening components.
However, it’s worth noting that the quality of the maintenance will depend on the comprehensiveness of the inspection.
A 10-point inspection, for example, may not offer as much benefit as a 25-point inspection.
Gateway Door and Contracting – For All Your O’Fallon Garage Door Service Needs
Most people will need to replace their garage doors or opener at least once throughout owning a home. And when it comes to garage repair, you can expect incidences every five years or so (longer with proper maintenance).
But when you invest in a trusted garage door service company, you can rest easy knowing your repair or replacement experience will be as smooth and hassle-free as possible.
And if you’ve run into garage troubles or are just looking to upgrade in O’Fallon or surrounding areas, we here at Gateway Door and Contracting would love to help.
At Gateway Door and Contracting, we take pride in getting the job done right the first time. Our expert technicians have in-depth knowledge of all garage door and opener brands. And since we’re not a franchise like many of our competitors, we can offer faster, friendlier, and higher-value service than the other guys.
So if you need quality garage door service, get in touch today for your free estimate!
How Can We Help You?
New garage door or opener?
Repair garage door or opener?
We offer 24 x 7 garage door repair. You can count on us!